"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence." - H.L. Mencken
I
found this posted on facebook today, it was one of my friend's fortune
cookies. It struck me as incredibly profound and wonderfully true, and
very important. I've been thinking lately about what I learned from
reading Herman Hesse's Siddhartha. What I took away from that
book was that Buddha found enlightenment in the river. Which, aside from
the Taoist thoughts I have about that particular detail, means that he
found enlightenment in the middle path. He left both hedonism and
asceticism to find his balance - in nature. I have interpreted this to
mean, that there is a way to live life in harmony - in the middle path.
What does this mean? What does this have to do with love?
Love is
like food, sex, intoxicants, magic, relationships, etc. We glorify and
define it along societal standards that tell us what love is, where we
will find it and whom it will be with. All of these expectations are
attachments to the constructed idea of love. And the post-modern
American love at that. Remember, this is not Chinese love or medieval
Gothic love or even Greek heroic love. It is NOT love at all, but rather
an idea of what we think it should be. This is our imagination taking
over reality and supplanting the truth with hurtful fantasies that we
are addicted to. This is our imagination triumphing over our mind and
reason. It is another sick generation of the monkey brain.
Does
this mean we can't have love without also suffering? I don't think so. I
think the issue is real love - compassion and caring for another human
being while also being in full knowledge of them, especially their
perceived flaws. As long as we truly see the people in our lives for who
they are, as long as we don't expect them to live up to some Hollywood
standard, we can have healthy productive relationships. But when we
project those desires and demands for imaginary perfection onto another
person, we hurt them. We hurt ourselves. They rebel, (and wouldn't we
all) and then we get hurt and angry and lash out at them for failing to
fulfill our expectations. True love is unconditional, without demands.
It just is.
To attain a stable relationship, to have peace in
love, we must be willing to work for the truth. We must see our loved
ones as they truly are, and accept them for that. If we cannot do it -
then we don't really love them. We just think we do.
No comments:
Post a Comment